Most of the houses do have a garage room as it’s one of the important spaces in the backyard. Wouldn’t you agree that it is one of the regularly used rooms in your day-to-day lifestyle? Definitely, it is.
You may use the garage room for various things starting from a workshop, DIY, entertainment, storage, what not? Generally, garage rooms are made to park your vehicles. Especially for cars and bikes. Everything is fine until the opening of the garage door comes. So, let’s be honest – How heck did you felt every time you opened the garage door manually by hand – real hard right?
To overcome this problem, we have a gadget for you – a garage door opener can literally do your job. It can open your garage door without any manual effort to be made. Sounds cool right? – Let’s talk more about its characteristics.
One good news for you is now you can operate these garage door openers from your smartphones too. Yes, you can check whether your garage door is opened or closed from any part of the world you are.
If you are looking to buy the best garage door opener for your garage, you need to pay attention to some of the most crucial factors. This will eventually help you to get the perfect door opener for your garage. Before we deep dive into its features – let’s define what is a garage door opener? , when the garage door openers are invented, how do they actually work? and more!
List of Best Garage door openers of 2022
Here is a list of some of the best garage door openers on the market, which you can use for your garages. It’s never been easier to choose the proper garage door opener for your backyard.
- Genie Aladdin
- Nexx Smart WiFi Controller
- Genie Chain Drive 500
- Genie Chain Drive 550
- Marantec Synergy 370
- Chamberlain B6765T
- LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series
- Decko 24300
Introduction to Garage Door Openers
A Garage door opener is an electronic machine that is priorly built to open the garage doors without adding any manual efforts to open them. Garage doors come in different materials starting from wood, steel, and aluminum, to fiberglass.
C.G Johnson was the person who bought the first electric overhead garage door opener in the market in 1926. Unfortunately, this electric made garage door opener didn’t gain popularity until the Chicago-based out company “Meter ” built another overhead electric garage door that can be opened with the help of a keypad. So that’s how the garage door opener story was started. To know more about garage door openers visit this link.
Garage door openers come in different styles. Some of the most popular models are – chain drive, screw drive, belt drive at last the wall-mounted ones. You also need to check the horsepower of the garage door opener in order to pull up or push down to the garage door smoothly.
When it comes to choosing the Garage door opener brands, you have a lot of options available in the market but the most reputed ones are Genie and Chamberlain garage door openers. But you cannot skip the small to medium manufacturers too, they are worth watching.
Types of Garage Door Openers
Let’s look at the types of Garage Door Openers available in the market.
1) Chain-Drive Garage door Openers
The word ” Chain ” itself gives us the straightaway hint that this type of garage door opener has a chain drive system. Yes, there is a chain just like a bicycle has. The chain pairs with a trolley and the monitor. But they create heavy noise when they work, this is due to the metal-to-metal connection. Generally, they are less expensive compared with the other garage door openers.
2) Belt-Drive Opener Garage door openers
Blet drives are exactly like chain drives. There is only one change between these two machines – Mechanism. In the belt drive garage door opener, you have a rubber belt in place of a metal chain. There will be a sort of switch which is going to activate the belt and from there on the door opener will start working by pulling the trolley upwards and downside.
3) Screw-Drive Garage Door Openers
A Screw-driver opener is another type of garage door opener that works with a steel sort of thread rod where the trolley runs. An electronic-made motor comes into the work to move the trolley as well as the attached door.
This type of garage door opener has gained a lot of popularity due to its simple usage. Especially, if you are a DIY freak, you can maintain this machine with ease. Parts are very minimally used in this garage door opener. So, you don’t need to be a professional guy to install or repair it.
You will find some drawbacks with this screw drive garage door opener, firstly they are expensive compared with the other models and they are not weather resistant. Additionally, you need to use the lubricants regularly to run smoothly without any sound hassle. So yeah, the maintenance is quite high with this model.
Factors to Consider While Selecting Garage Door Openers
Horsepower is the most important factor to consider when you are opting for a new garage door opener. Check the specifications thoroughly to see how much lifting power it has got. If you want, you can also compare it with different models that are available in the market to get a clear idea. Keep in mind that your horsepower should match exactly with the lifting capacity your garage door can handle.
If the horsepower is much higher than what the lifting needs, you will probably end up burning your energy unnecessarily ( power ). If the horsepower is low, the garage door opener will overwork, and eventually the machine will be spoiled. A low-horse-powered garage door opener also has a risk in terms of safety. You will see the unsteadiness when you open or close the garage door.
If your garage has a standard door – a 1/2 horsepower door opener is what you need to go with. Even if your door is built with solid wood and weighs high, still it works fine. If you are still confused, just take the advice from a professional garage door installer to make a perfect choice.
2. Security Lights
The security light is the next big thing you have to look out for. The security lights are actually mandatory for a garage door opener. Especially, if your garage is located in a low-light area. These lights are fixed in the main unit of the opener and they work automatically once the door opener starts working. They genuinely lesser the number of risks present in the garages.
Generally, garages are stored full of unsecured things like tools, fasteners, and more. Lights are always helpful for you to see things clearly at late night. However, most of the garage door openers do have security lights but you should check thoroughly with the newly launched models as they are combined with the motion sensors. So, they start working instantly when you walk into the garage from the main door.
3. Battery Backup
If you often suffer from a power outage in your backyard, always opt for a strong battery-backed garage door opener. The Garage door opener will run even if there is any power outage. But this is only for a shorter period of time and you also have limited time to use it when you switch to the battery mode. There’s one cool feature you have. If the power comes back, then your battery will start charging immediately where all the power is restored again.
4. Garage Door Manual Release
Having a manual release for a garage door opener is always a beneficial feature for you. If you want to open your garage door manually ( by hand ) you can just use the manual release feature by separating the garage door opener from the garage door. With the help of a spring system, you can lift your heavy garage doors with ease.
It also comes in handy when you don’t have a power supply. You can just pull off your garage door by hand. It also helps to maintain the garage door balance perfectly. But there’s one risk involved in this manual release feature – A thief or burglar can always decode this manual release feature with the help of using a small hook or wire. So make sure that your garages are fully secured from such incidents.
5. Rolling Code Technology
Security is always on top priority no matter what product you deal in. According to the sources, recently a garage door opener has been hacked by using a kid’s toy. To give more protection to your garage door, enable the rolling code technology feature. Whenever you start using the garage door opener remote control, your opener and the remote generates a new code out of billions of codes.
However, this rolling code technology came into force in 1993. It has been mandatory for any garage door that is made after 1993. Still, if you have the older version of the garage door opener, upgrade it with the rolling code technology.
6. Automatic Reversing Feature
A lot of people have got injured with garage door openers due to the lack of operating knowledge. Probably they bought the old versions of openers which are not loaded with smart features such as – Automatic Reversing. It will just divert the direction of the closing door instantly once it finds any obstacle. The US Govt has made it voluntary in 1982 and bought into action in 1993.
Right now, you have two different auto-reversing features with the garage door openers. One is the electronic-based sensors which are fixed at the door’s surface. It will make the opener go reverse once the sensor finds any obstacle.
Another Auto reversing technology is the Photoelectric eye sensor which is fixed at the threshold of the garage door. It has a strong lazer sort of light that releases an invisible beam sort of line which is not visible to us.
The functioning is very simple. Let’s say if your pet or kid comes in contact with the beam, the sensor instantly sends a signal to the door opener to break the circuit so that the garage door will not close.
8 Best Garage Door Openers in 2022
While the market is fully flooded with garage door openers, it’s hard to find the right one for your needs. So, finally, we have defined a list of the most popular garage door openers in 2022 that are ready to use for your garages.
1. Genie Aladdin
Genie is one of the most famous and customer-voted brands in America when it comes to the garage door opener system. They built their first garage door opener in 1954 and since then they are on the moon. Currently, they are one of the leading manufacturing brands to produce the safest garage door openers. You can trust this company-made product without a doubt.
Key Features of Genie Aladdin
The Genie garage door opener comes with a size of 5 x 1.5 x 5 inches out of the box. It has a wifi connectivity option where you can just connect with your smart devices.
- Security: This garage door opener is boosted with a Bluetooth connectivity feature and as well a door position sensor that is fixed directly to the garage door. So, now can track your garage door directly from the app whether it is being opened or closed.
- Virtual Key: Genie Aladdin Garage Door Opener comes with a virtual key option which is very much useful. You have around 19 virtual keys that you can distribute to anyone you want to by just reassigning from the app.
- Smartphone Notifications: There is one more cool feature in this garage door opener, that is – notifications. Yes, you can connect your smart devices and get notifications instantly if anyone opens or closes the garage door. All these notifications will be recorded on the access history which you can check any time later. The system keeps 100 old records of the open and closing door.
2. Nexx Smart WiFi Controller
Our next brand is ” Nexx ”. Yes, this brand has gained a lot of popularity in terms of providing smart technology featured door openers for your garage doors. Their products are highly functional yet easy to use.
Key Features of Nexx Smart Wifi Controller
Nexx Smart Garage door comes with a built-in wifi feature. It also has all the premium features that you’re looking for. Just like, you can control your garage door from any part of the world. You will get all the notifications instantly if anything happens.
- Geofencing Feature: Geofencing is one such feature that is exclusively added to this garage door opener. You won’t see this feature in any other garage door opener except Nexx. They have done a tremendous job. This is truly innovative for sure.
- You can use this geofencing feature in such a way that, just fix your radius sensor according to the user guide. Now the garage door opener will start detecting you once you get in contact with its radius and eventually open the garage door. You don’t need to play with any buttons or remotes. Isn’t it cool?
- You Have Voice Control: Most of the garage door openers do have this voice control option. And why it shouldn’t be, as nowadays houses are more like tech hubs. This feature is supported by all the latest voice control gadgets starting right from Apple’s Siri, Google, to Alexa. You can open the garage door with just a voice.
- Access Availability: It feels a bit insecure to share the key code access with the others despite having a security system. Anyways, there’s an option that you can share your garage door opener’s keycode with others for a certain period of time.
- Security Options: So, overall the nexx has all the options in terms of securing your garage door. Starting right from sharing the key access to getting the notifications on your devices.
You are going to see a lot of Genie-made products on this list. And, this is also one of the best garage door openers that are ready to purchase.
If you are looking for a garage door opener that should have the capability of working in a smart home, then this genie chain drive 500 will not make you disappoint with its unique technology.
It’s one of the best garage door openers in the price range of 150 bucks. Since it works with both HomeLink and Car2U. So, this certainly saves some cash for you not opting for any device for compatibility.
Key Features of Genie Chain Drive
- Safety: As seen, most of the garage door openers do come with motion sensors. This Chain-drive 500 comes with the SAFE T-BEAM system. It is an extraordinary feature which will make sure that it will give protection to your garage. In terms of its quality, there were no complaints till now. Everything is fine.
- Sound Free: To be honest, this garage door opener is not going to make you feel disgusting in terms of sound. Generally, if you see, low-priced door openers tend to make a lot of noise but not with the Geenie Chain Drive 500.
- Easy Installation Process: Now, if you are thinking about the installation is also going to make us pay more? Then worry not. You don’t need an expert to install this garage door opener. It’s pretty easy and DIY by just following the user guide. There’s also customer support for you if you are unable to get it.
4. Genie Chain Drive 550
Here comes another Genie-made chain drive 550 garage door opener. This gadget is pretty simple to use, you’re not going to see any kind of radiators, detectors, or smart controls. You will get just a couple of remotes to handle the door opener.
Key Features of Genie Chain Drive 550
- The best part about this garage door opener is, that you can open the door only when you have the remote in your hand, or else you can’t. In addition to that, you don’t have any apps to get logged in and check. With just a remote, you can play with your garage door.
- Installation Process: It’s not at all complex, to be honest. It’s pretty easy to install it on your wall. There is a user manual guide which is found in the box, you can just follow the steps and install it.
- compatibility: The compatibility of the Genie Chain Drive 550 is simply outstanding. It works with both Homelink and Car2U.
5. Marantec Synergy 370
A new brand has arrived on our list – Marantec. This Germany-based out brand has gained a lot of popularity in terms of building quality garage door openers in the past couple of years. In fact, they provide some stunning technology in their openers, let’s dive in to see what more it has got.
The design of this garage door opener is fantastic. It looks very lustrous. You will be very satisfied
Key Features of Marantec Synergy 3
- One thing we can assure you with the Marantec Synergy 370 is, that you’re not going to hear any sort of loud noise from the door opener.
- LED Lights: One good news for you is, that the opener has in-built LED lights for your garage. You don’t need to worry about the lights in your garage anymore if you go with this.
- It can lift up to 8 feet: If your garage is fixed with heavy doors ( up to 8 feet ) then this chain drive system-made door opener will do your job. It has a 3/4 HP motor that provides quiet and powerful operation for a heavy carriage home.
6. Chamberlain B6765T
If you’re a tech freak, then you will fall in love with this chamberlain-made garage door opener. This door opener has been filled with a lot of innovative things, starting from the smart gadgets access to motion-activated cameras, to control panels. Let’s dive in to know more about it.
Key Features of Chamberlain B6765T
- They have also installed the 2-way audio function and a couple of remotes. Let’s say if your phone has got switched off or not working, you can opt for another option. To be honest, we have personally liked the smartphone controlling system. You can literally play with your garage door with the help of the MQ app.
- camera: The very silent yet astonishing feature of this Chamberlain B6765T garage door opener is the camera. Yes, you have a 140⁰ wide-angle camera that lets you see and hear what’s happening in your garage through the MYQ app All we can say is – incredible. The system also has the night vision version where you get clear footage of the whole garage even at the nighttime.
- We have caught only 1 drawback with this door opener is, you need to subscribe. And, it’s a paid subscription, so make sure that you really need that extra features or you are just happy with the garage door opener.
- Quality: Everything looks cool on the paper but what really matters is the performance and quality. We can guarantee that the Chamberlain garage door opener is up to the mark. They haven’t compromised in terms of the quality of the product.
- As we see a lot of chamberlain garage door openers are built with steel, this one is also made up of superfine steel. You won’t hear any disturbing notice from this garage door opener, It’s super quiet. It’s long-lasting too. In the long run, your garage door may get rusted but not the opener. It will continue to work for years to come.
- battery: The Chamberlain B6765T comes with an excellent battery backup. Let’s say, if you have power problems in your area, there is a built-in battery installed in the machine, which works as a backup. So the door opener will run even without the power. You don’t need to worry about rebooting and reconnecting again. The device will automatically run without any hassle.
7. LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series
The LiftMaster 8500 can be said as one of the most stylish and sleek-looking garage door openers on the list. This is can be said as the prime reason but, wait, there’s a lot to know more. With this garage door opener, You don’t need to be worried about the installation space at all. All you need to do is just stick this door opener to your wall.
You have a couple of security frames with this Liftmaster 8500. One move which made me astonishing is the audio-visual signals. It starts working once you either open or close the garage door. You also get the power deadbolt lock feature. This gives protection to anyone who tries to break the door.
Key Features of LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series
- Does it make a lot of noise: The answer is no. This garage door opener from the Liftmaster is not going to make you feel rude. However, you may hear a little bit of noise from the audio and visual signals. But apart from that, it’s a super cool product to add to your garage.
- What about the Battery: Adding a battery to the door opener system has become very common nowadays. Almost all the garage door openers are filled with this innovative technology. The Liftmaster 8500 also has it. So, no worries if you have power problems. You can rely on the in-built battery for some period of time.
8. Decko 24300
If you have a very limited budget to spend yet, you don’t want to get compromised in the quality and features? The Decko 23400 is your go-to garage door opener to buy.
Key Features of Decko 24300
- Out of all the garage door openers available in the market, the easiest installation process goes to the Decko 23400. It comes with non-polarised wiring which is a game-changer in itself. We feel that you don’t need an expert to fix this door opener in your garage.
- Out of the box, you will get all the necessary things that you need to install by DIY. Apart from the user guide, you will also get remotes, keypads, wall panels, etc.
- If your garage has a very large space, then you have up to 8 feet of extensions available!
So we have listed down all the best garage door openers that are good to go. If you think, you have caught any other ones, do let us know in the comment box. We are happy to assist you. Cheers!